Permit Process


  • Building Within City Limits
  • Building Outside of City Limits
  • Setback Requirements

Zoning approval is necessary for all structures.  A Building Permit can not be issued until the zoning is cleared.  Please be sure your zoning is approved before you make plans to begin building.  If you are planning to buy a manufactured or modular home, it is wise to clear your zoning before you order your home. 

For information on zoning within the city limits, read section 1-A.  For information on zoning outside of city limits, read section 1-B.

1-A Building within City Limits

If you are building within city limits, contact the city office for information concerning zoning requirements.   They will give you a form or letter signed by their zoning representative stating that you meet zoning requirements.  You will need to submit this document to the building inspection office along with your building permit application. 

1-B Building Outside of City Limits

If you are building outside of city limits in the unincorporated area of Emery County you will need to submit the following information to the Building / Zoning Official.

  • Trust deed or County plat showing ownership of 10 or more acres.  A county plat can be obtained from the County Recorders office (435) 381-2414.  Storage or agricultural structures do not need 10 acres, but you must have proof of land ownership before a building permit can be issued.
  • A letter of intent from the appropriate water district showing that they will supply a culinary water hook-up to the residence.  Check with the city office nearest your building site for information on who to contact regarding a water connection. 
  • Road Encroachment Permit from UDOT or Emery County Road Department.  Check with the road department (435) 381-5450 or Utah State Department of Transportation to see if you will need a permit.
  • Approval of sewage disposal system from the State Health Department.  You will need to do a percolation test (instructions are included in this packet), then contact Dr. Claron Bjork at the Southeastern Utah District Health Office in Price (435) 637-3671 for information regarding the design of the system..
  • Plot Plan showing your lot drawn to dimension, size of structure (dwellings must be at least 800 square feet), location of structure on property, other structures, easements, drainage patterns as applicable and a north arrow.  Use a separate sheet of paper and attach it to the application.  Setback requirements are as  follows:
Setback Requirements

Front Yard Setback – 55 feet from the center of any public road or 30 feet from the right of way line, whichever is the greater distance, except that all buildings situated adjacent to State or Federally designated highways, except non access highways, shall be set back at least 50 feet from the right of way line.

Side Yard Setback – 10 feet from a side lot line, except that no side setback shall be required for accessory buildings, barns, coops, and sheds which are located over one 100 feet from the nearest dwelling.  On corner lots, the required setback from the side property line which abuts on the street shall be the same as the front setback.  Feed lots for over 100 animals must be at least 1/4 mile from the nearest dwelling or municipal boundary or federal highway.

Rear Yard Setback– at least 10 feet, except that no rear setback shall be required for accessory buildings, barns, coops, and sheds, which are located over 100 feet from the nearest dwelling. 


  • Manufactured or Modular Homes
  • Used Manufactured
  • Stick Built Homes, Garages, Additions, Large Sheds, or Other Structures

Once your zoning has been approved you can move on to the building permit process.  Please fill the building permit form out as completely as possible.  For information on manufactured or modular homes, read section 2-A.  For information on “stick built” homes, read section 2-B.

2-A Manufactured or Modular Homes

If you are installing a Manufactured or Modular Home submit the following documents with your application.  Please give this information to your Manufactured or Modular Home Dealer so they can help you get the correct documents from the manufacturer:

  •  Floor Plan
  •  A Model Specific Footing and Foundation Plan – Footing plans must include sufficient detail so that a competent contractor could build the footing without any other outside instruction.  The plans must show all applicable measurements and leave no question of where the measurements start, i.e. outside of wall or inside of wall, etc.  Specifications for footing construction and installation that are taken from the installation manual must be photocopied and highlighted so there is no question about which page, chart or table the information came from and which part of the chart or table is applicable.  Generic information is only acceptable if the required model specific information such as exact length and width, etc. is indicated. 
  • Additional drawings showing the following specifications
  •  X-Y coordinates of: Sewer drop location, Culinary water hook up location, Electrical conduit into the house to feed the inside electrical panel, and Crawl space access entry way (Preferable near the majority of the utilities)
  • All pier and tie down locations, spacing and specifications including locations and specifications of marriage line piers.  This drawing must identify and show how these piers will be supported on the footing plan.  If there are any unusual specifications, they must be noted.  For example, if a marriage line pier is to have a 11,000 pound rating instead of the usual 6,000 pound rated piers that most installers use, there must be information on whether one pier would suffice or if double piers can be used.  If double piers can be used, a drawing out of the installation manual must be included and additional bearing provisions must be located on the footing plans.
  • Location of electric meter/main disconnect and information about who will supply and install these items.
  • Location of natural gas meter (when applicable).
  • Installation Manual must also be available when the home is delivered to the building site.
  • Plans for accessory buildings, carports, garages, awnings, etc
  • If you have special lot contour problems they must be addressed before your permit can be issued. 

Documents that are unreadable because of FAXing or bad original photo copy can not be accepted.  If we can’t read them they are of no use to us.

For Used Manufactured  Zoning allows for June 18, 1976 or newer manufactured homes.  Please see page 2 of the handout titled Construction Code Requirements. 

Often used Manufactured do not have a floor plan, footing and foundation plan or Installation Manual.  If this is the case you will need to set up an appointment with the building inspector to discuss your plans for setting up the home.   Please read the Construction Code Requirements handout.  It contains information about how to design your footings, where to place piers and how to hook up the electricity.

2-B “Stick Built” Homes, Garages, Additions Large Sheds or Other Structures.

 Submit the following information:

  • A complete set of Blueprints and Specifications Plans must have footing and foundation or basement plan, floor plan, electrical plan, elevations and wall cross-sections and details as needed. 
  • Drawings and specifications for unconventional construction shall require an architect and/or engineer’s stamp.  Log and metal frame houses and other metal buildings are considered unconventional construction. There may be an plan check fee in addition to the regular building permit fee associated with all types of plans.
  • Plans for commercial buildings must be drawn by a certified architect and/or engineer and additional steps in the approval process may be required. 

When the Building Official determines that your plans meet all building regulations a permit will be issued. The entire process can take anywhere from 24 hours to a couple of weeks (sometimes more if there are complicated plans that need to be reviewed). 


(Please share this information with your contractor)

Minimum of 24 (business) hours notice is required for all inspections.  Occasionally the building inspector can schedule an inspection the same day it is called for; however, this is not always the case.  After the inspection is completed, if work is not marked “Approved” on the inspection form, make the corrections noted in the remarks section of the form and call for another inspection before continuing work.

It is fairly common for builders to order cement and then call for an inspection.  We DO NOT recommend this practice.  Often the building inspector is booked and can not make an inspection before the cement is due to arrive.  If this happens the builder will be expected to cancel his order for cement.  Pouring cement without an inspection will not be allowed.  We recommend waiting until the inspection has been completed and approved before ordering cement.

Calculation of the Building Permit Fee is based on the valuation of the project which is determined on a cost per square foot basis, according to ICBO (International Conference of Building Officials) 1997 UBC fee schedule recommendations.  There is a $ 47.00 minimum fee for building permits. 

The building inspector is happy to answer questions whenever needed, but he is not responsible for teaching the builder basic construction procedures, and cannot design structures for builders.

Building Permits are required for most structures.  Those structures that are specifically excluded by International Building & Residential Codes are: 

  • R1O5.2 Work exempt from permit. Permits shall not he required for the following. Exemption from permit require­ments of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provi­sions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
  • One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (II m2).
  • Fences not over 6 feet (1829mm) high
  • Oil derricks
  • Moveable cases, counters and partitions not over 5′-9″ high
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or lIlA liquids.
  • Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5.000 gallons (18 925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:I.
  • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Temporary motion picture, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610mm) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18925 L) and are installed entirely above ground.
  • Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.
  • Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
  • Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.
  • Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.
  • Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
  • Non-fixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.
  • Repairs and maintenance: Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
  • Radio and television transmitting stations: The provisions of this code shall not apply to electrical equipment used for radio and television transmissions, but do apply to equipment and wiring for a power supply and the installations of towers and antennas.
  • Temporary testing systems: A permit shall not be required for the installation of any temporary system required for the testing or servicing of electrical equipment or apparatus.
  • Portable heating appliance.
  • Portable ventilation equipment.
  • Portable cooling unit.
  • Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.
  • Portable evaporative cooler.
  • The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe, provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.
  • The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.
  • 105.2.1   Emergency repairs. Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.

Expiration of Building Permits

R105.5 Expiration. Every permit issued shall become invalid unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced within 180 days after it’s issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time the work commenced. The building official is authorized to grant, in writing, one ore more extensions of time, for periods not more that 180 days each. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.