Recorder FAQs

How do I add/remove a name to/from my property?

All name changes must be done with a recorded deed. A Title Company or Attorney may assist you with these documents.

Where can I obtain forms for recording? (Deeds, etc.)  

Most Office Supply stores carry blank deed forms. The Recorder’s office does not have forms of any kind and can not make or fill out documents for you. Please be aware that you are dealing with legally binding documents. You may wish to seek legal advice.

What are the fees for recording?

Please see theĀ Fee Schedule.

How can I find out what liens are on a property?

You can come in and do a title search yourself, or contact a title company to perform one for you. You should be aware that there may be other liens and judgments or encumbrances affecting your property that will not be found in the Recorder’s records.

What can I do to protect myself from a lien or what do I do if there is a lien on my property?

In 1994, the Residence Lien Restriction and Lien Recovery Fund Act established a means for the protection of homeowners. The homeowner must comply with the specific requirements of the Act. Questions about the Act may be answered by reviewing the Act found in Title 38-11 of  the Utah Code and the corresponding Rules found in Title R156-38 of the Utah Administrative Code. If Questions still exist, contact representatives of the Residence Lien Recovery Fund Program at (801) 530-6104 or (801) 530-7632.

How do I do a title search?

If you have a specific document you are looking for, it can be found easily with our various indexes (see Searching the Records), however; it is advised that you consult with a Title Company if you need a thorough search of your property.

How can I obtain a copy of my deed?

You can request a copy from our office in person or by mail. Copies are $0.25 per page plus postage & handling charges. If mailing your request, please enclose the appropriate fee for the copy and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

How do I find the dimensions for my property?

If your property is part of a Subdivision, the dimensions are found on a copy of your Plat map. You can come into our office. If your property is not part of a recorded subdivision, then you can find your dimensions by looking at your vesting deed. Your deed contains a legal description of your property. Be aware that changes may be made to your original dimensions by boundary line agreements, and/or other recorded deeds such as a Quit Claim Deed, that have deeded portions of the original description to another party.

What happens to my document when it is presented for recording? 

If the document meets the proper requirements, and the proper fees have been paid, we accept the document and record it. It is first given a recording stamp. Then the document is optically scanned and microfilmed and a copy is made for use in our department. The original document will be returned to the person presenting it for recording or as otherwise requested within 7 days. The data entry department then types pertinent information to create indexes so that the document can be located on the computer in the future. The mapping department then checks each document. They assign parcel numbers based on the legal description and make changes on the maps as necessary. The department then checks the document copy to make sure the parcel number assigned is valid. If it is a releasing document, the proper cross references are made.

Can I verify a property owner by address?

No. Not every parcel of property in the County has an address at this time, therefore, there is no accurate way to track a parcel based on its address.